Mix-in Ideas for Mac N Cheese
Want to add more oomph to your mac n cheese? Here are some ideas of extra ingredients to add in:
- Chopped BBQ Chicken or Shredded Pulled Pork
- Grilled Chicken and Bacon
- Sauteed onions and mushrooms
- Blanched broccoli and diced ham
Which cheese is better- pre-shredded or block?
Tips for shredding cheese more easily:
How do you make oven baked crispy topped mac n cheese?
To get crispy topped mac n cheese you need to bake it in the oven. I like to add a breadcrumb top to min for extra crunch.
- Once you’ve made the sauce and added the pasta, combine the whole thing thoroughly.
- Then spread in a greased 9 by 13 pan, and if desired sprinkle with bread crumbs over the top.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
Can you freeze homemade mac n cheese?
How to cook frozen mac n cheese:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Remove mac n cheese pan from the freezer but do not remove the foil or allow to thaw. Place on a cookie sheet for stability.
- Bake for an hour until the center is cooked through. If you want a crispy top, remove the foil for the last 15 minutes of cooking time.
Do you follow Jonesin’ For Taste on Facebook? Stop by, say hi, and let me know what kinds of recipes you want to see!
What to serve with white cheddar mac n cheese?
- Parmesan Rosemary Rolls
- Garlic Jalapeno Drop Biscuits
- Thyme Cheddar Twists
- Apple Bacon Goat Cheese Salad
- Mango and Mandarin Orange Salad
Creamy Homemade White Cheddar Mac n Cheese
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 1/4 cups milk hot
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 4 cups extra sharp white cheddar cheese grated (about 1 lb)
- 1 lb macaroni cooked
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Add flour and cook stirring constantly until light brown (about 3 minutes). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Whisk in hot milk 1/4 cup at a time and cook whisking constantly until sauce thickens.
- Add cheese one cup at a time and stir each addition until incorporated into the sauce.
- Combine the macaroni with the cheese sauce. Serve hot.
For a crispy top baked version:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread the mixture into a greased 9 by 13 pan.
- Distribute the bread crumbs over the top. Bake until crust is golden and interior is hot and bubbly, about 30 minutes.
Recipes by other bloggers for National Cheese Lovers Day
Chicken Madeira by House of Nash Eats
Gooey, Gorgeous Raclette from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Easy Italian Sausage Pasta Bake from Cooking For My Soul
Extra Cheesy Garlic Bread from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Slow Cooker Creamy Mac and Cheese with Bacon from Cheese Curd in Paradise
Baked Parmesan Cheddar Crisps from Blogghetti
Smoky Beer Cheese Dip with White Cheddar from Food Above Gold
Layered Chili Mac and Cheese from Palatable Pastime
Cheese Danish from Kate’s Recipe Box
Macaroni and Cheese Pierogi from The Spiffy Cookie
Waffled Pizza Bites from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Pizza Grilled Cheese from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Sweet Gherkin Pimento Cheese Spread from Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
Easy Cheese Sauce from The Gingered Whisk
Adjaruli Khachapuri (Georgian Cheese Bread) from Caroline’s Cooking
Cheese Charcuterie and Pickled Onions from Our Good Life