This easy baked orange chicken is a delicious dinner option that is quick and easy to prepare. With juicy chicken pieces in a sticky orange sauce it is simple and flavorful.
Easy to prepare dinners that can result in multiple parts of dinner done in one shot make me happy. This is one of those dishes. While the chicken cooks soaking up all of that flavor from the sauce, the liquid reduces down to create a delicious sauce almost like gravy. Perfect for spooning over rice, potatoes or even your veggies!
Although it may seem like a long time to bake the chicken, using bone in pieces helps to maintain that juicy interior. My Baked Chicken with Olives and Grapes also has a longer cook time and that is one of my family’s most requested dinners.
- bone in chicken pieces
- fresh oranges
- onion soup mix
- soy sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- brown sugar
- Instead of using a variety of chicken pieces you can use only bone in chicken breasts or bone in chicken thighs.
- If you don’t have onion soup mix, you can swap it for onion powder or onion salt.
Other recipes you may like
- Pressure Cooker Orange Lemon Chicken and Gravy
- Orange BBQ Oven Baked Salmon
- Mango and Mandarin Orange Duck Salad
You can make this in a slow cooker as well!
1. Place the chicken and sauce in the slow cooker and cook for 2-3 hours on high, 4-5 on low.
2. Once the chicken is done cooking, pour the sauce into a sauce pan and cook over medium high heat until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
3. Place chicken on a cookie sheet, brush the sauce over the chicken, and broil for 3-5 minutes until skin is golden and crispy.
According to the USDA chicken should be cooked to a minimum of 165℉ when measured at the thickest part and not touching the bone.
A good meat thermometer will always be your friend when cooking meats to the perfect temperature. I use my Thermoworks thermopen all the time to make sure I don’t overcook or under cook my meat.
Pin the photo below to save this recipe for later!
Do you follow Jonesin’ For Taste on Facebook? Stop by, say hi, and let me know what kinds of recipes you want to see!
- 3 pounds bone in chicken pieces
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup honey
- 2 cups orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons onion soup mix You could also use onion salt or onion dip
- Orange slices for garnish
- fresh cilantro minced
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Place chicken pieces in an oven safe casserole dish.
- In a bowl, combine the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, brown sugar, honey, orange juice, onion soup mix and paprika.
- Pour over the chicken. Turn the chicken pieces over a couple of times, making sure it is well coated.
- Cover the chicken with aluminum foil and place it in the oven for about 40 minutes.
- Remove the foil and continue to cook for another hour. Make sure you turn the chicken, so it is evenly cooked.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and serve.
- You may garnish the chicken with orange slices and a bit of minced cilantro.